In garden

Elton Hall Gardens

Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries the family really gardened in Ireland. Firstly at Stillorgan House and then at Glenart Castle, Co. Wicklow. The grounds of Elton Hall were only fully developed and maintained in the early 20th century. The areas close to the house were redesigned just before the outbreak of war in 1914 and these new plantings greatly enhanced the Walled Garden. Together with the earlier gravelled walks to the Oaks, the Lake, the Church and the drive from the next village, which had become a walk through the Repton inspired park to a path by the river Nene, the gardens and parkland were at their most splendid. Glasshouses, fruit, vegetables, herbaceous borders, a topiary maze, a rose garden and the woodlands underplanted with a mass of snowdrops, bluebells and clumps of box, transformed the 22 acres of garden and 200 acres of parkland into a small paradise.